These balls are based on the Seed Cycling Theory which is the practice of eating a combination of specific seeds throughout the different phases of the menstrual cycle to promote hormone harmony.
The nutrition content of which help support, regulate and clear out our hormones (specifically estrogen and progesterone) throughout the cycle.
Phase 1 (the ‘follicular’ phase): spans from the time of your last period to ovulation (approx. the first 14 days or two weeks of the month), and is when estrogen in the system is building up to encourage the uterine lining to plump up in preparation for possible implantation.
LINSEEDS + PUMPKIN SEEDS ARE USED TO PROMOTE PHASE 1
· Linseeds: contain high levels of essential fatty acids (EFAs), anti-oxidants (protective) and lignans -which are fibre-like compounds that act to moderate estogen production, and prevent estrogen excess.
Interestingly, linseeds can also exert a phyto-oestrogenic effect, which supports oestrogen levels in the system. This is a good example of how balancing wholefoods really are.
· Pumpkin seeds: are high in the mineral zinc, which amongst many other functions, promotes the release of progesterone. 🙌 They also have phyto-oestrogenic properties + enzyme alpha-5 reductase, which helps to modulate androgen levels (good also in PCOS) + phytosterols.
The preferred way to have these are to grind 1 tablespoon fresh every morning and consume anyway you like. In a smoothie, in water, with yogurt etc. . HOWEVER, I am busy like many other ladies, so I made these follicular balls to have with brekky or a mid morning snack or after lunch. As long as you are getting these nutrients in daily, they will contribute to hormone harmony.
Every ingredient has a purpose...
Check out my Luteal Balls next...
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup linseeds
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup preferred sweetener
- 2 drops of doterra essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of matcha tea
- 1 cup melted coconut oil
- In a food processor blend pumpkin seeds, linseeds, almond meal, matcha tea and sweetener.
- Pour into a bowl and add coconut oil and peppermint oil.
- Place in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Take out and roll into balls.
- Keep in fridge ready to have on hand every day of your follicular phase.