Yellow Carrot Ribbon Pesto
This is a great low carboyhdrate alternative to pasta without the insulin spike from flour but instead an extra boost of nutrients from carrots. You could also use spaghetti squash, or zucchini. I used these giant yellow carrots because that's what I had in my veggie box.
Did you know carrots were actually yellow before a strain of carrot was developed in the 18th century that had more beta carotene and some alpha carotene which made them orange. The major pigment in yellow carrots is xanthophyll and lutein which is good for healthy eyes, may prevent lung cancer and other cancer and reduces the risk of atherosclerosis.
- 2 large yellow carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- 1/2 cup mini tomatoes sliced
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons ACV
- coconut oil
- 1/2 bunch of coriander
- Peel the carrots
- Using the peeler, create long ribbons of the carrot until you have used up as much of the carrot as possible.
- In a frypan or wok, lightly cook the carrot with water and coconut oil (or olive oil)
- Add the tomatoes and olives and cook for a further 2 minutes
- Blend the macadamias, ACV, olive oil, garlic and coriander in a blender.
Add the pesto to the carrot ribbons and heat through for a couple of minutes.
Serve as a side or add some protein for a main dish.